IB Student Aaliyah Blake Organizes CAS Project Basketball Game to Bring Students and Staff Together

Samuel Thorton

On March 29, 2023,  a Kenwood High IB student Aaliyah Blake organized a student vs staff basketball game as part of her CAS project.  Her goal for this project was  is to bring students and staff  together.  

The International Baccalaureate (IB) is a global leader in international education as its goal is to develop inquiring, knowledgeable, confident, and caring young people. The IB site states, “Our programmes empower school-aged students to take ownership in their own learning and help them develop future-ready skills to make a difference and thrive in a world that changes fast.” 

The CAS project is part of the IB program that is a series of experiences that contributes to the student’s personal development. CAS stands for creativity, activity, and service ​and is required for students pursuing the full IB Diploma. The project must take students at least a month to complete ​and they must reflect throughout the process.

Kenwood is proud of Aliyah. Kenwood IB coordinator, Mrs. Williams, adds,  “Aaliyah met expectations on this project because she was able to work through the planning and execution of the components. She was organized and had the support of staff and students along the way.”

The night of the event was a success at bringing students and staff and the community together. Team Malik was the winning opponent of the night, and Mr. Whitten was the referee of the game.  Kenwood Principal Powell adds, “It was an absolute terrific event full of fun and smiles! Aaliyah did a tremendous job organizing the entire event and it was a terrific reminder of why we do what we do!”

Aaliyah was not the first Kenwood IB student to develop and execute a CAS project to bring her school community together. Be sure to check out past Kenwood IB CAS projects here and here.