BCPS Students will Vote for Next SMOB in March

Chigozirim Agommuo

The Student Member of the Board (SMOB) is a participant in the Baltimore County Board of Education’s voting process. Every high school in Baltimore County is able to nominate two candidates to run for Student Member of the Board. The application period for BCPS’s Student Members of the Board of Education is from December 1, 2022, until January 6, 2023 by 11:59 pm, only students who are currently sophomores or juniors are eligible to apply!

To be an eligible participant to run for SMOB, a student first must be able to review and analyze large packets of information provided prior to each Board meeting. Board packets typically include the agenda for the upcoming meeting, minutes of previous meetings, background information and recommendations for policy and program discussions and actions, resolutions/legislation, and budget and personnel documents. To add, the Student Member must read additional information including articles, journals, and reports provided weekly to board members. Time management skills are a critical responsibility to have when running for Student Member of the Board.

Kenwood hasn’t previously had a SMOB but senior Genesis Bonilla is the current SMOB Press Secretary. The current SMOB, Roah Hassan, is the first SMOB to establish a cabinet. Press Secretary is one of those cabinet members.

Genesis is a former Eye of the Bluebird reporter and after working with this year’s SMOB on a story last year, she was asked to be her Press Secretary. Part of Genesis’s responsibilities as the Press Secretary is to write her press releases, help with blog posts, help write official statements for her social media accounts. Genesis shares, “Roah embodies what it means to be a Student Member of the Board. She prioritizes the needs of students, while also making sure she represents them. Every SMOB must embody these qualities.” 

A maximum of two students from each high school in Baltimore County may be nominated for SMOB. Candidates submit application packets that contain an essay, five letters of recommendation, and an information page/resume. An authentic school transcript and a copy of the most current report card should be sent, and the applicant should save a copy of each.

A selection committee reviews applications before advancing some candidates to the interview stage. This choice is communicated to applicants through email. Three final candidates were selected. They will each video record up to a 3-minute speech. This year’s three candidates are:

• Nicholas Dimitriades of Towson High School,
  • Kayla Drummond of Parkville High School,
  • Nathan Harris of George Washington Carver Center for Arts and Technology

The election to vote for next year’s SMOB will take place on March 23. Students vote in school that day. Be sure to vote for the candidate that you feel best represents you and your peers. In the coming months students will have the opportunity to learn more about the final candidates.

Be sure to read more about the candidates between now and election day.

Video speeches from the candidates will be available online, on BCPS-TV, and in selected English language arts and social studies classes from Tuesday, February 21, to Friday, February 24. During that time, middle and high school students can submit questions to the three candidates.