The Class of 2023 Holds the First Annual Senior Sunrise

The+Class+of+2023+for+the+first+ever+Senior+Sunrise+event+on+Friday+Sept+2.+

The Class of 2023 for the first ever Senior Sunrise event on Friday Sept 2.

Autumn Rohe

The Senior Sunrise was the first *senior only* event on this school year that took place on Friday, September 2 at KHS’s football stadium. It was also the first ever Senior Sunrise at Kenwood!

It was very successful with twenty-five participants in total that came. The sunrise was meant to commemorate the start of a very successful and exciting senior year.

The class officers (Amyah Davis- President, Genesis Bonilla- Vice President, Mekhi Miller- Secretary, Deja Livingston- Social Media Manager, Savannah Williams-Figaro- Event Manager) were proud of their success with planning the Sunrise! The administration provided donuts and granola bars to the students that came. Seniors were allowed to socialize and take pictures with their peers during this time.

Kenwood Principal felt the senior Class Officers did a terrific job organizing the event! “It was an awesome time at their first Senior Sunrise event. The Class Officers of 2023 did an incredible job organizing! It was a terrific start to their senior year. Going to be a great year!”

Vice President, Genesis Bonilla was ecstatic for this event. “During a summer meeting, we had the idea to do a sunrise. We hadn’t even spoken about doing a sunrise prior to any meetings, so it felt meant to be. We successfully started a Kenwood tradition and made history!” she shared.

As the sunrise symbolizes ‘new beginnings,’ the class officers wanted to start this senior year off strong. The class officers hoped to encourage their fellow seniors with the Sunrise. This is the first ‘normal’ year for seniors since their first three years of high school were impacted by the pandemic. The officers wanted to make this year as memorable as possible for seniors!

The Class of 2023 event manager Savannah Williams-Figaro was responsible for organizing the sunrise. She made sure the event was approved by the school and that the rest of the senior officers had the necessary items to be able to make the sunrise a success.

B. Powell

Amyah Davis, President was also very excited for the sunrise, “My favorite part about planning the sunrise was decorating and getting everything set up with the class officers. I wanted to throw the sunrise to celebrate the *last* first week of school for seniors.”

Senior year is the last year of high school, and the last year of schooling for most! Going from freshman year to senior year is special enough on its own, so seniors deserve to celebrate the end of their journey!