Kenwood’s NHS Hosts Blood Drive to Donate Blood to the American Red Cross

Teachers+and+students+participated+in+donating+blood+to+the+American+Red+Cross.+

Teachers and students participated in donating blood to the American Red Cross.

Asharia Olukayode

Here at Kenwood High School, we have many programs and clubs that help give back towards our school, our environment, and our Essex Community. One of the many programs that is essential towards our community and the people outside of it is the annual NHS Blood Drive.

This blood drive is hosted each year by The American Red Cross, also known as The American National Red Cross, a non-profit humanitarian organization that provides emergency assistance, disaster relief, and disaster preparedness across many states and homes in the United States. Kenwood’s National Honor Society, advised by Ms. McNulty, hosted their annual blood drive with the Red Cross on April 22  to support the great need for blood  for many patients in need.

Throughout the day there were a total of 16 successful donations, each of which save up to three lives! Ms. McNulty adds, “Some of those were first time donors!”

The American Red Cross shared with Ms. McNulty that Kenwood’s donations went to various local hospitals including, Montgomery General Hospital, Luminis Health Drs Community Med Center, and Howard County General Hospital in Columbia.

Kenwood’s school nurse Mrs. Myers explains, “The NHS Blood Drive provides support to the community, by first bringing the community together to aid a much-needed cause, and it provides teamwork amongst students. While the blood is donated to the Red Cross, donated blood can provide a life-sustaining need for anyone needing it in the community.”

Blood drives are an essential part of a community and in giving back to those in need can provide someone in a life threatening situation a chance to live. For any interested in the future in donating blood, Mrs. Myers shared the following requirements:

• Donation frequency: every 56 days, up to 6 times a year
  • You must be in good health and feeling well
  • You must be at least 16 years old in most states
  • You must weight at least 110 lbs.

The annual Kenwood NHS blood drive will return next year for those interested in participating!