Kenwood Juniors and Seniors Celebrate First Ring Ceremony in Two Years

Juniors+and+Seniors+participated+in+this+years+Ring+Ceremony+on+April+28.+

Juniors and Seniors participated in this year’s Ring Ceremony on April 28.

Amyah Davis

A tradition that has been going on for years is the annual Junior Ring Ceremony. Beginning in 1835 each year a new class is allowed to customize their own class ring to serve as a memory of their high school dreams and accomplishments. At the ceremony the ring is supposed to be turned the same direction simultaneously by all students to bring good luck in the upcoming year as they finish high school and move on to their next chapters.

Kenwood High’s  Junior class ring ceremony took place for the first time in two years on Thursday, April 28. Many students were excited and thrilled to wear their class ring representing their school and accomplishments. Many appreciated the event more than normal since the past two years of juniors weren’t allowed to have a ring ceremony.

This year’s seniors were allowed to participate in the Ring Ceremony since there was cancelled last year due to the pandemic. Seniors appreciated the opportunity to be included in this year’s ceremony. Senior Zyhier Linton shares, “I bought my class ring because I wanted something to represent my time at Kenwood.”

Juniors and Seniors enjoying the tradition of the Junior Ring Ceremony.

Even with the expense of class rings, Junior Class Vice President Genesis Bonilla adds, “It was a lot of money but it’s worth it. Class rings are important because they represent a pivotal year of someone’s life.” Students believe it’s worth the cost so they can save their high school memories and moments.

Teachers looked forwarded to seeing their students walk across the stage at the ceremony. Ms. Cooper, an AP English 12 teacher says, “It’s a memory you savor forever. It’s a bonding experience especially after being able to continue with school activities like this after COVID.”

The Junior Ring Ceremony was just the beginning of the return to those monumental moments students look forward to as they wrap up their high school journey.