Baltimore County Public Schools Mandatory Mask Mandate Comes to an End

Jada Simmons

We have been in a global pandemic for two years now and it seems as though the mandatory mask mandates are coming to an end.  With the decreasing number of Covid cases more states and communities in the U.S. are allowing their schools and public places to lift their mask mandates. 

Effective today, March 1, Baltimore County Public Schools, lifted their mask mandate, making masks optional for students and staff.  One student shares, “It was kind of odd walking into school today. I expected to see more people with their masks off but many people are keeping them on. I think kids got used to wearing them and maybe feel self conscious without the mask after wearing it for so long.”

After two years of barely being able to leave your house without wearing mask, people have different views and opinions on it being time to lift the masks mandates and resume to a more normal life of the pre pandemic world.  Kenwood junior Christian M shares, “I think it’s good others have the option to what is the most comfortable for themselves.” 

The feelings of keeping them on or taking them off is one students are debating with themselves on this first day in two years of being in a school without a mask. Student Makayla Shannon from Kenwood High adds, “I honestly have mixed feelings about this because I am excited that they’re lifting it, but I know that there are people that aren’t comfortable with people walking around without masks.’’ 

As the vaccine became available for all school aged children, and with more people vaccinated, some have pushed that it was past time to push forward with lifting the mask mandates. Some local school districts faced protests from families, demanding the mask mandate be lifted sooner rather than later. Kenwood student Jaylin W adds,  “I feel like it’s time that we lift mask mandates and I support it.’’ 

As people have stepped up to take their vaccinations and encouraged others do the same to stop the virus spreading as much as possible, lifting the mask mandate can be seen a reward for what their hard work and effort has done in their community. According to the Maryland Matters site, 70% of Baltimore County residents are fully vaccinated as of February 28, 2022. 

Teacher Fahad Rahman says, “Personally, I think ending or at least easing, the mask mandate is a step in the right direction. I think that the mandate would have had to end sooner or later.  The current data seems to show that now would be an okay time to lift the mandate.’’ 

Governor Hogan issued the first mask mandate back on April 15, 2020, and here almost two years later, we are in a position where masking is a personal optional choice in the majority of places, including our schools. Some do worry that it’s still too early to remove masks mandates and that removing them could cause Covid cases to rise again. A concerned Kenwood senior shares, “I feel like more cases could rise now that our masks our optional.” 

This is a concern others of his peers share as well, but as Mr. Rahman says, “If a noticeable increase in Covid- 19 cases occurs after the end of the mask mandates, then the mandate could always be put back into place if needed.’’ Let’s hope we all take the steps we need to keep ourselves and our communities safe!