Learn From Me: Why I Should Have Went to Class

Hey, my fellow high school students,

I’m writing this to let you know that this is reality. This is real. I wrote a short story two years ago, my 10th grade year, of how hard life is for kids that battle stuff at home and generally why students skip class. I get it. I lived through it.

I was that one in way too many kids that don’t go to class. It’s an escape. Being with friends is an escape and I get that because some and maybe most go home and face reality. But your reality is now. Your future is now. In just a few years your friends right now will not be your friends later. I have been through that. That I can say is okay. That does not mean you’re alone. You just grow up. Grow out of friendships.

I’m not going to sit here and explain a sob story of my life and how it is because honestly, we all go through stuff, unexplainable stuff. I’m not here to ask for any sympathy. I’m here because I wished someone would have told me the consequences. Not an adult because I can’t even tell you how many teachers and adults in my life have warned me about the wrong decisions I have made. But simply someone who has been through it.

My name’s Nora and my whole freshmen, sophomore, and even the beginning of my senior year I cut class, and to be honest in my head I’ve always thought it was because of stuff going on at home. But who’s really controlling our future? Us or our past?

Now most of you won’t listen and blow this message off, but I’m here to tell you the truth. Cutting class doesn’t hurt anyone but yourself in the end. I’m a senior repeating ninth grade classes and have a full day of school, while most of my friends get out by second period. It’s all because of my actions and nobody else’s.

I have to face those consequences. I do not want to see that happen to you. I get it. It’s hard. It becomes an addiction. It becomes a need and not a want. The first day you think to yourself, “okay cool let’s just skip this class”, until you reach a point where you feel like you can’t even sit still for too long.

But it’s not too late. You can change. Like I said before not all of you will listen but even just consider what I’m saying. Consider your future. It doesn’t hurt anyone when you miss class but yourself I promise. It’s not hurting your teachers; it’s not hurting your parents; it’s not hurting your peers; it’s hurting you.

The friends you hang out with won’t be sad nor will they care to walk out them doors for early release and leave you behind for you to get all eight classes piled up your senior year. I care. I’m listening. I get it. So if you can change it, why not change now before it’s too late?

A wise and bright women told me, “You get to decide what your happiness and success looks like; no one else can decide that for you or take that away from you. But one thing I know for sure… we cannot let these moments in our lives determine our mood each day or control how we live our lives.” -Ms. Cox.

That set my perspective to success, and I hope it moves yours as well. Nobody can change you but you, and nobody can help you if you don’t want to help yourself. So, learn from my mistakes and actions. Your future starts now. Good luck.

Much love and hope!

-Nora J