Nine Kenwood Seniors Recognized for Career & Technology Accomplishments

Back to Article
Back to Article

Staff Reports

Eight Kenwood seniors were among more than 130 BCPS students honored May 1 for their excellence and achievements in career and technology programs.

The 45th Annual Career & Technology Education Student Recognition Ceremony took place at the SECU Arena at Towson University.

The BCPS CTE program “provides students with relevant career skills preparation and rigorous academic course work. Our state-approved programs of study are designed to prepare students for the 21st century global economy and its rapidly changing workforce needs,” according to the county (“Career and Technology Education”)

Every high school in Baltimore County offers CTE programs for students interested in pursuing a particular trade field after high school.

“Some schools have Magnet CTE programs like cosmetology, carpentry, automotive, and such,” said Kenwood’s CTE Department Chair Erin Ray. Though Kenwood has two magnet programs with the Sports Science Academy and International Baccalaureate (IB), the school also offers programs in Carpentry, Plumbing, Graphics and Printing, Nutrition and Foods, Child Development, Business and Marketing, Advanced Tech, College and Career Research and Development, and the Air Force JROTC program.

Several Kenwood seniors were recognized for their success in their individual CTE programs.

Albert Dore for Advanced Technology Education Program Albert will continue his interest in technology by majoring in Computer Engineering at College of Mount Saint Vincent.

Logan Greenstreet for Carpentry Career Program Logan is leaving Kenwood’s Carpentry Program with his OSHA Certification card to qualify him for any beginning construction job or apprenticeship. Right after graduation he will enter a four-year apprenticeship as a basic laborer to work on the Conowingo Dam Project. He found his experience at Kenwood a valuable experience to prepare him for his future. ” [Randy]Tolj is an amazing teacher. He really gave me an in-depth knowledge of the job, especially when it comes to problem solving skills when things aren’t going as planned,” he said.

De’Shone Ricks for Mechanical Construction and Plumbing Careers De’Shone earned a certification in safety from OSHA 10 and will be a licensed plumbing apprentice and is prepared to leave Kenwood to enter the workforce.

Katherine Portillo for Child Care and Early Childhood Education  Throughout her program at Kenwood she interned at Martin Boulevard Elementary. Katherine received a full ride scholarship to McDaniel College and Notre Dame of Maryland University to pursue her degree in Early Childhood Education.

Jeffrey Waggy for College and Career Research and Development  Jeffrey is headed into the work force work after graduation to pursue working at Super Vision or becoming a CDL driver.

Tessa McLean for Graphics and Print Communications Technology She’s prepared for an upcoming interview for a productions position at Strategic Factory. She feels well prepared with her graphics experience. “Kenwood’s Graphics and Prints Communication Program has prepared me to go right into the workforce,” she said.

Gwenevere Guilmino for the Air Force JROTC. Gwen is now prepared to head off to the Marine Corp next year. She found Kenwood’s JROTC program to be a redirection she needed. “It inspired me to be an active citizen rather than give up on myself. Before I came here I didn’t have any plans for my future and was on a misdirected path but JROTC really gave me direction and purpose for my future,” she said.

Breah Redding for Business and Marketing Breah will continue pursuing her skills in business and marketing with a minor in Business Management and a major in Early Childhood Education.

Asia Mason for Nutrition and Food Science Associate Program. Asia is accepted into Pace University to major in Hospitality and Tourism Management, BBA. She wants to work as a front of the house manager in hotels and other hospitality venues. Her Foods and Nutritions teacher Chef Gina Ries said, “She will be a great asset to the hospitality industry!”

Students leave BCPS CTE programs ready to enter  the workforce from internships served during their high school years, apprecenticeships, or trade schools or college to complete their career certifications. “Virtually all the programs are aligned with courses of study at the Community College of Baltimore County, and some students graduate eligible for as many as 23 free credits at the college,” according to a county news release ( Oland ).

In 2018-19, Kenwood will add another CTE Completer with an Aviation Technology Program. This program will be taught by qualified FAA Instructors and was developed in cooperation with several aviation partners to instruct students in current and projected Aviation Technologies. This program will prepare students for academic or practical entry into the exciting career field of Aviation.

With the demand for pilots on the rise as Boeing projects a demand for 790,000 pilots over the next 20 years, job growth is expected to rise in the upcoming years.

This program will enable the students to learn from and interact with high profile Aviation Industry partners such as Textron Industries, Aviation Owners Pilots Association (AOPA) and the Community College of Baltimore County (CCBC).

This new program in Aviation will give students the opportunity to academically earn their Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Remote Pilots License (Drone-UAV) and complete all aspects of the FAA Private Pilots written course.

Sources:

“Career and Technology Education.” Division of Curriculum and Instruction. Baltimore County Public Schools. 2019. Web. Accessed 7 May 2019.

Oland, Brandon. “Graduating Career & Technology Education students to be recognized with awards and scholarships.” Team BCPS. Baltimore County Public Schools. 29 April 2019. Web. Accessed 7 May 2019.