KHS Art to Host Upcoming Art Showcase

Back to Article
Back to Article

KHS Art to Host Upcoming Art Showcase

Staff Reports

Art courses here at Kenwood High are a popular elective; though everyone should reap the benefits of art courses at some point in their school career. You don’t have to be an artist to reap the benefits of art. According to Be Brain Fit, “Creating art relieves stress, encourages creative thinking, increases brain plasticity, and imparts other mental health benefits. And anyone can do art.”

Kenwood’s Art Department has been busy beautifying the halls of Kenwood High with their talented students’ art skills as they design murals for various areas of the building. Part of Kenwood Principal, Mr. Powell’s, mission is to create a renewed culture of respect for our school, community, and each other here at school. Adding murals to school walls increases student pride in their school building and makes for a more welcoming environment for all to learn in.

Junior Tony Valencia is participating in the upcoming KHS Art Showcase with a handful of both 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional artworks on display. He currently takes Studio Practice, Photography, and Clay courses here at Kenwood High. “I’ve loved art since I was five years old and ever since I’ve been here at Kenwood I’ve been taking art classes with Ms. Cain. She’s like my school mom and has helped me grow as an artist. I like participating in the art shows because I enjoy being able to show other people what I can do with my art.”

Kenwood’s art department teachers recently hosted an afternoon Paint event for teachers to discover the relaxing, de-stressing benefit of engaging in creating art. The paint afternoon was part of STAT teacher, Ms. Sittner’s, Teacher Self-Care month initiative, to take time for one another. “Teachers do so much for their students and so many of them are parents too that painting provided an opportunity for teachers to relax and socialize with one another.”

The KHS Art Department is also hosting their annual Art Showcase this coming Thursday, April 25. It will be taking place in Kenwood’s gymnasium from 5-7. Chic fil a will be there for a dinner option as you check out the fantastic artwork on display. There will also be live music and face painting for the kids. This is a feeder show which will host all the elementary and middle schools that will eventually feed into Kenwood and all their best student artwork will be displayed altogether. “It is a really special event because you can see the development of art skill in one community from Kindergarten through 12th grade. Entire families show up and have multiple students with artwork even if they might not go to the same school,” shared Kenwood Art teacher Ms. Anna Handy. It is a well loved event for the Kenwood community.

In addition to Chic-Fil-A, face painting, and live music provided by a select group of soloists from Kenwood’s music department, there will a photo booth setup with props and multiple make your own craft stations. Many artworks will be up for sale by the students in which the proceeds will go to the student, so come prepared to purchase your favorite! There will also be student-made crafts for sale that will help fund the area show next year.

KHS student art work will also be on display next month at the Goucher Art Show. The Art Department is sad to see their Art National Honor Society members and leaders Emma Pollard; Heather Catron, Chris Vasilarakis, LaRon Pearson, Y Luu, and Darren Barbero leave but wish them the very best and hope art continues to be a positive part of their lives.

Don’t overlook the benefits of art and be sure to take time to appreciate the beauty of our Kenwood artist at the upcoming art shows and in our halls and art case displays.

Source: Alban, Deane. “The Mental Health Benefits of Art are for Everyone” Be Brain Fit. Be Brain Fit & Blue Sage, LLC. 9 February 2019. Web. Accessed 18 April 2019.