K.E.N. Helps Bluebirds as Part of Environmental Mission

Back to Article
Back to Article

Members of K.E.N. install bluebird boxes as part of their mission to improve the environment.

Jesie Jumawid

Jesie Jumawid

Jesie Jumawid

Antonio-Quincy D. Robinson

The Kenwood Environmental Nestwork has installed a series of a bluebird houses around campus to help the species thrive.

Club members hope the four bluebird houses will help reverse the dwindling of the Eastern Bluebird population.

Jesie Jumawid, a sophomore and member of K.E.N., said the project is a chance to help the environment and work with a group of committed students.

“It was really fun because we were all participating and all of us were engaged in the activity,” she said.

The project is one of the latest for K.E.N., the school’s environmental club, which aims to promote environmental awareness and protection in the Kenwood community and reduce the human impact on the school environment.

As the club the grown during the past three years, other projects the members have completed include the construction of both the flower garden behind Kenwood and the vegetable garden in the MPR courtyard, from which the produce has even been used in school cooking classes.

This spring the club will host an Earth Day plant sale. In addition, the club hopes to further beautify the courtyard with environment-focused wall murals. They are currently in the process of looking for an artist to volunteer.

K.E.N. also hopes to be granted permission to establish “no-mow zones”, which are areas where the county is not permitted to mow the grass to provide a sanctuary for local species. The club plans on reserving these areas for the habitation of native species and environmental education.

The overall mission of K.E.N. is to teach students about environmental awareness and reduce the human impact on the school environment, according to the club’s sponsor and social studies teacher Derek Woodward.

The inspiration for the club’s development during the 2015-2016 school year came from a group of then- freshmen (now seniors) who had to complete a final project that focused on civic action. Woodward made the prerequisite for the project center around local environmental concerns. From that project came the idea to start an environmental awareness club here at the school, and the students asked Woodward to be the club’s teacher coordinator.

The principles that drive the club’s operations and involvements include maintaining a presence within both the Kenwood and Essex community, being fair and non-biased, not rejecting student/teacher interest, and staying open to any all suggestions that would help K.E.N. maintain success and relativity.

One major goal of K.E.N. is to maintain Kenwood’s status as a Maryland Green School, a designation the school first earned in 2018.

Woodward says that he hopes the “nest-work” is affecting the Kenwood community and faculty, moving both students and teachers to go home and implement some of the practices that they encounter while at school.

Junior Deborah Sackey, a member of K.E.N., said the club is a huge help to the school through its various projects.

“This club helps the school become more eco-friendly one mission at a time!” she said.

Additional information from staff reports