Kenwood Adopts 25 Families for Christmas Giving

Back to Article
Back to Article

Taylor Brown, Senior

For the past ten years, Kenwood High School has participated in the Adopt-a -Family holiday program to provide gifts for less fortunate families.

Each year Kenwood academic departments, teams, organizations, and families adopt families in the community and school to help them afford a Christmas morning.

Last year, 28 families with a total of 54 children were adopted and gifts provided for the holiday season. This year Kenwood adopted 25 Kenwood families which included 28 Kenwood students and their siblings. Along with a variety of Kenwood organizations adopting the families, two amazing outside organizations and families also participated to provide Christmas for these Kenwood families. Ms. Marshall’s rugby team even jumped in to save the day at the last minute by adopting a family of three.

The program was started by former health teacher Ms. Cox. After she transferred to a PPW position,  assistant principal Ms. Seymore took over the program, but when she left, Ms. Brendlinger and Mrs. Reaves took over the program and have lead this Kenwood holiday tradition the past two years.

Ms. Reaves provides food baskets for all the families, and KHS Science Department donated an entire Christmas dinner to a family! Many Kenwood organizations like the Sports Science Academy, IB Program, AVID students, JROTC, and Honor Societies show up one night a year to wrap all the gifts collected for the families.

Once all gifts are bought SGA hosts a wrapping party every year. This year’s wrapping party took place after school on Wednesday, December 12. Many of the students and teachers attended, whether the students were helping their magnet programs, honor societies, or simply just coming to help a good cause. The evening was fun filled as everyone listened to Christmas music while wrapping the presents that students and teachers bought for the children.

A lot of the gifts ranged from art supplies to clothes to even a bike for a little girl. A student spent almost two hours wrapping the bike for the little girl. All the students there participated in helping to wrap a gift whether they were good at wrapping or not. Everyone had a role in bringing holiday cheer to the 25 adopted families.

It was a great experience seeing everyone helping and spreading Christmas cheer for kids who are less fortunate and who deserve every one of those gifts on Christmas morning.