Program Helps Athletes Succeed On and Off the Field

Kaitlyn+Marshall
Back to Article
Back to Article

Kaitlyn Marshall

Kaitlyn Marshall

Kaitlyn Marshall

Kaitlyn Marshall

Taylor Brown, Senior

When playing sports your time becomes very consumed with all the practices, the games, and even the little things you do with your team. So when is there ever time for school work?

Kenwood’s Ms. Kaitlyn Marshall, a special education teacher, wanted to launch a pilot program to help student athletes who struggled to find time to get their school work completed between all the practices and games.

This year with the start of football season she began running a program for varsity football players called the Academic Advisory program. This program helps students stay on track with their school work while also showing their best skills on the field.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, players spend an hour in a study hall with Marshall before heading to practice. They bring schoolwork they need to complete or focus on SAT prep, and players also tutor their teammates when they can.

Marshall was encouraged to start the program when students kept coming to her at the end of the quarter asking to make up their grades. As a former student athlete, she understood the struggle to balance sports and schoolwork.

Marshall hopes to expand the program to more sports in the future , as well as to involve more faculty and members of the community who played sports during their school years.

Students in the program are gaining more understanding of the material learned in their classes and are learning that academics are just as important as sports. “Students are also competing for the highest GPA on the team,” added Marshall.

With such a great program that gets kids involved she hopes it continue to grow and make a difference for future Kenwood athletes.