Kenwood Homecoming Festivities Create Lasting High School Memories

Beth Ivins Kelly

Beth Ivins Kelly

Autumn Blackwell, Junior

From the moment we start school, most parents rave about all the exciting moments their child will have later on in their school career. One of those moments is one of the most exciting high school dances in anyone’s high school memories—homecoming.

This year, Kenwood celebrated Homecoming during the second week of October, ending with the annual dance on Saturday the 13th. Here’s how this year’s festivities went down.

A few weeks before, everyone started to shop. Some went shopping with close friends, searching all the trendiest stores at the mall, looking for the perfect dress. There were countless minutes, turning into hours, sometimes even days, of searching online and in stores for the perfect outfit, from head to toe. Others let their parents do the shopping, or picked up the first thing they see and called it a day.

Fast forward about two weeks and the most exciting week ever began—Spirit Week. Every day was a new theme. Monday, everyone showed up in their most adorable PJs ever. Tuesday, students showed up as some of the funniest memes that have trended on every social media platform to the most original movie/TV show/book character. Wednesday, every set of ‘twins’ got to relax after a long day of PSAT testing in their matching clothes, shoes, hair, and whatever else they could think of. Thursday was’70s & ‘80s disco day, and everyone wore their hottest pinks or their oldest clothes. We saw everything from full on pink-outs to leg warmers and side-ponytails.

Then Friday came—the best day of Spirit Week. It was pep rally day, and it was time to show some school spirit. Everyone wore their school spirit in a different way. Some in face paint, others in tutus. Some in tee shirts, others in sports jerseys. The pep rally sent a roar across our stadium that could be heard miles away. The excitement of the students and the teachers brought our school a little extra unity for the day.

Later that evening, students returned to the same stadium wearing their blue gear to cheer our school on against Delaney High School. Kenwood won, with a score of 49-12, finishing our Spirit Week off on high note.

Though Spirit Week was over, Homecoming wasn’t quite complete. Saturday morning of Homecoming week kicked off with the second annual community parade. This is quickly becoming a Kenwood community tradition favorite. It was followed by the annual Powder Puff game.

Saturday morning was the morning some had been waiting for and prepping for weeks and weeks. It was the day of the big dance. Homecoming Day. Some woke up early, going to get their finishing touches done, from hair to nails to last-minute outfits. Others slept late, making sure they wouldn’t be tired for the night’s dance. Everyone started to get ready—texting friends to figure out their status, making plans for after homecoming, getting dressed and taking pictures.

Around 7 o’clock, students started to arrive. Squeals were heard from friends as they saw their friends waltz through the door in their finest clothes. Thousands of compliments and hugs were exchanged as students made their way to the gymnasium, or to the cafeteria, for a bite to eat. Students walked in, admired all the beautiful themed decorations, and then made their way to the dance floor to dance their hearts out to their favorite songs. It was a night of high school memories that will last a lifetime.

The homecoming experience is one that can never be forgotten, and not having one will always be regretted. It’s a memory that will be discussed years and years from now with old friends at reunions, with future generations, and with future students as they embark on their own high school experience. It’s an experience that students will hold on to as a dear memory when they move on into the real world after high school. It’s one that every single student should experience at least once in their life.