Varsity Teams Finish Out Strong Spring Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Staff Reports

The spring sports season has come to an end, with JV Boys Lacrosse, Varsity Boys Lacrosse, Varsity Girls Lacrosse and Varsity Baseball boasting winning records.

The JV Boys Lacrosse finished undefeated and won the BCPS Division II Championship. Matt DeLoach and Jalen Demauri were the leading scorers for the season.

The Varsity Boys Lacrosse finished with a 9-4 record and were the Number 1 seed in the 3A North MPSSAA Section. They faced Bel Air HS in the sectional semi finals where they lost a competitive game to end their season.

Varsity Girls Lacrosse was 8-7. They defeated Aberdeen 14-3 in the 3A North MPSSAA quarterfinals and defeated Patapsco in the section semi finals, but they lost to C. Milton Wright to end their playoff run. Allyssa Greaver and Susannah Kontyko were the leading scorers for the season.

Varsity Baseball went 11-9, defeating Patapsco 17-2 to move onto the 3A Sectional Semifinals. Ryan Puller Timmy Crawford and Mark Rongione were awarded the All-Division Award. Mark Rongione received the All-County Award.

Varsity Softball went 8-10 this season with big wins against Hereford and Franklin. Cheyenne Robicheaux and Miyhanna Henry were voted the MVPS. Maddison Sheppard was the Unsung Hero and Raven Brown won the Blue Pride Award.

The Allied Softball team competed in the “Dream Games” at Catonsville HS and had a successful season. Josh Wright and Torri Green were stand out players this season.

Several track and field athletes had a great season. At the regional meet at Patapsco High School Joyce Kemo competed for long jump and advanced to the state meet at Morgan State University. She jumped 16”.5’ which was a personal record of more than 9 inches. This is a huge advancement in the world of “jumps”. Other placements for track and field athletes include the following:

Boys:
Duran Miller – 7th place in discus
Devont’e Wilson – 5th place in long jump
4×200 m relay (Ethan Hanley, Christopher Smith, Ayodeji Omomo, and Fred Morgan-Iheracho) – 6th place
4x400m relay (Devont’e Wilson, Christopher Smith, Ayodeji Omomo, and Fred Morgan-Iheracho) – 5th place

Girls:
Tyler Major – 4th place in discus
Jai’Mia Pressley – 5th place in discus
Joyce Kemo – 7th place in long jump
Sarah Okome – 5th place in 800m run

Tennis went 6-6 this season with players getting recognized for the following awards:

Most Valuable Player: Spencer Smith (boys) and Y Luu (girls)
Unsung Hero: Christos Vasilarakis and Fatoumata Diallo
Blue Pride Award : Ayotunde Omomo (boys) and Fatima Toure (girls)

Several student athletes were recognized at the last sports banquet of the year on May 21.

The following Kenwood athletes played three sports during the 2018-2019 and were recognized as a Tri-Honor Athlete: Samantha Wilson, Malik Burnett, Josh Wright,Zack Hemmig, Miyhanna Henry, Jalen Demauri, Sulyvan Esparza, Allen Kalb, Lena Deaver-Diaz, Ariana Brown, Sydni Maul, Allyssa Greaver, Breanne Jones, Spencer Smith,Parrish Phillips, Matt Deloach, Isabel Atkisson, Shyan Chenoweth, Ky-Marah Clark, Daniel Igomigoh, Abdulazeez Bankole, Christos Vasilarakis, Ryan Puller, Katelyn Taylor, Sabian Edwards, Francis Bell, Alexis Matters, Jamya Piotrowski, Hailey Holbrook, Torri Greene, Ethan Miller, Daylon Duncan.

Several seniors were recognized for the Super K Award which requires earning eight or more Varsity Letters during their high school athletic career. The following student athletes earning their Super K Award were: Miyhanna Henry, Lena Deaver-Diaz, Ariana Brown, Christos Vasilarakis, Allyssa Greaver, Samantha Wilson, Jamya Piotrowski, and Katelyn Taylor.

A few senior student athletes earned scholarships for their Kenwood athletic success. The Derek Maki Leadership Award and Scholarship was established in honor of former Athletic Director Derek Maki in recognition of thirteen years of exemplary service to the athletic program at Kenwood High School. Mr. Maki’s selfless dedication to Kenwood Athletics has positively impacted the lives of thousands of student athletes over the years. This year’s Kenwood recipient of the Derek Maki Leadership Scholarship Award was Ariana Brown.

The Booster Club Male Athletic Award and Scholarship went to Jalen Elliott and the Booster Club Female Athletic Award and Scholarship went to Samantha Wilson. The Blanche Drennan Outstanding Male Athlete went to Darius Riley and the Blanche Drennan Outstanding Female Athlete went to Miyhanna Henry. The Neil Rivers Memorial Award and Scholarship, given in honor and memory of former Kenwood Student-Athlete Neil Rivers. Neil was a standout soccer player, wrestler and baseball player in his athletic career at Kenwood. Neil lost his life in an act of senseless violence after his high school years at Kenwood. This award is given to a Senior Athlete who best exemplifies Neil’s character traits of  integrity, dedication, strong work ethic and commitment to school and teams. This year’s Neil Rivers Memorial Award and Scholarship went to Raven Brown.